Professor Eastman's teaching and research is in the areas of Building Information Modeling, solids and parametric modeling, engineering databases, and product models and interoperability. He also is an active researcher in design cognition and cognitive science.
B. Arch, M. Arch, University of California, Berkeley
Building Information Modeling
The development of strong parametric modeling systems for design and fabrication in the construction industry are revolutionizing the methods, tools and practices throughout architecture and construction.
- Eastman, C., Teicholz, P., Sacks, R. and Liston, K. (2008) BIM Handbook: A Guide to Building Information Modeling for Owners, Managers, Designers, Engineers and Contractors, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey.
Papers and Conferences
- Sacks, R., Kaner, I., Eastman, C.M., and Jeong, Y-S., (2010). ‘The Rosewood Experiment – Building Information Modeling and Interoperability for Architectural Precast Facades’, Automation in Construction 19 (2010) 419–432.
- Chuck Eastman, Jin-kook Lee, Hugo Sheward, Paola Sanguinetti, Yeon-suk Jeong, Jaemin Lee and Sherif Abdelmohsen (2009) Automated Assessment of Early Concept Designs, Mar 6 2009 Architectural Design John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. (p 52-57)
- Eastman Charles M. and Rafael Sacks. (2008) Relative Productivity in the AEC Industries in the United States for On-Site and Off-Site Activities, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 134, No. 7, July 1, 2008, 517-526.
- Barak R, Jeong Y-K, Sacks R, and Eastman C, (2007) Unique Requirements of BIM for Cast-in-place Reinforced Concrete, ASCE Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering 2007, Pittsburgh, PA June 27.
- C.M. Eastman, R. Sacks, Y.-S. Jeong, I. Kaner, Building Information Modeling (BIM) for Precast Concrete, National Institute of Building Sciences, Washington DC, USA, 2007, p. 212
- Eastman, C.M. (2004) University and industry support of research in support of BIM, Report on Integrated Practice, M. Broshar, N. Strong, D. Friedman (eds.), American Institute of Architects, Washington D.C. (2006).
- Eastman, C.M. (2004) Invited Keynote Presentation, New Methods of Architecture and Building, Fabrication: Proceedings ACADIA 2004 Conference, Toronto, CA
Building Product Models
Developing interoperability between various applications with emphasis on various building models, including IFC and CIS/2; developing "next generation" integration and data exchange technology; integration process coordination with data exchange.
- Eastman C., Building Product Models: Computer Environments Supporting Design and Construction, CRC Press, Boca Raton FL, (1999).
Papers and Conferences:
- Eastman, C. M.; Jeong, Y.-S.; Sacks, R.; Kaner, I.(2010) Exchange Model and Exchange Object Concepts for Implementation of National BIM Standards. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Jan/Feb 2010, Vol. 24 Issue 1, 25-34,
- Barak R, Jeong Y-S, Sacks R, Eastman C, (2009) Unique Requirements of Building Information Modeling for Cast-in-Place Reinforced Concrete, Journal of Computing In Civil Engineering March/April 2009, pp. 64-74.
- Jeong Y-S, Eastman C.M, Sacks R. and Kaner I. (2009) Benchmark tests for BIM data exchanges of precast concrete, Automation in Construction 18, 4, July 2009, pp 469-484
- Lee, Ghang, Charles M. Eastman, and Rafael Sacks. (2007) Eliciting Information for Product Modeling using Process Modeling. Data & Knowledge Engineering 62 (2): 292-307.
- Lee G, Eastman C, (2007) Twelve Design Patterns for Integrating and Normalizing Product Model Schemas, Comp-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engr. 22, pp. 153-171.
- Yang D, and Eastman C, (2007) A Rule-based Subset Generation Method for Product Data Models”, Comp-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engr. 22, pp. 133-148.
- Eastman C., F. Wang, S-J You, D. Yang (2005) Deployment of An AEC Industry Sector Product Model, Computer-Aided Design 37:11, pp. 1214–1228
- Eastman, C., Lee, G., and Sacks, R., (2002) “Deriving a Product Model from Process Models”, Concurrent Engineering 2002, Cranfield U., July 27-29, 2002
- Eastman, C.M., T.S. Jeng, , “A database supporting evolutionary product model development for design”, Automation and Construction, 8:3, pp. 305-324.
- Augenbroe, G. and C. Eastman  "Product Modeling Strategies for Today and the Future", The Life-Cycle of Construction Innovations: CIB Working Conference, June 3-5, Stockholm Sweden.
- R. Stouffs, R. Krishnamurty,and C. Eastman , "A Formal Structure for Nonequivalent Solid Representations", IFIP Knowledge Intensive CAD Workshop, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, September, (1996).
- Eastman, C.,"A Data Model for Design Knowledge, in Knowledge-Based Computer-Aided Architectural Design, G. Carrera and Y. Kalay (eds.), Elsevier Press pp. 95-122.
- Eastman, C.M.  "Conceptual Modeling in Design", in Fundamental Developments in Computer- Aided Geometric Modeling, L. Piegl (ed.), Academic Press, 185-202.
- Eastman, C. S. Chase, and H. Assal, , "System Architecture for Computer Integration of Design and Construction Knowledge", Automation in Construction, 2:2, pp. 95-107..
- Eastman, C. M., A. Bond and S. Chase  "A Data Model for Engineering Design Databases", 1st International Conf. on A.I. in Design, Edinburgh, Scotland, June 1991.
Product Model Repositories
Future architects and engineers will rely on product model repositories as their project database. There is much work to be done to make such repositories easy to use, intuitive and effective. This includes graphical interface development, query methods and transaction schemes, as examples.
Papers and Conferences
- You S-J, Yang D, and Eastman C, (2004) Relational DB Implementation of STEP based product model, CIB T6S7 Information technology in construction, CIB International Congress, Toronto, May 5-7, 2004.
- Jeng, T.S., and C. Eastman,  "Database Architecture for Design Collaboration", Automation and Construction, 7:6 ,pp. 475-484.
- Jacobsen, K. , T.S. Jeng, C. Eastman, , "Information management in Creative Engineering Design and Capabilities of Database Transaction", Automation and Construction, 7:1,pp. 55-69.
- C. Eastman (1993) "A Data Model for Design Knowledge", in Knowledge-Based Computer-Aided Architectural Design, G. Carrera and Y. Kalay (eds.), Elsevier Press, N.Y., , pp. 95-122, from CERC Conference on A.I. Techniques in Architectural Design, Rome Italy, May, 1993.
- C. Eastman and A. Kutay, "Transaction Management in Design Databases" in Sriram, D., R. Logcher and S. Fukada (eds.) Computer-Aided Cooperative Product Development, Springer-Verlag, N.Y., .
Next Generation Design Tools
With a new generation of architectural and building industry design tools, especially based on parametric design and rule-based design, there is a need for critical assessment, improved specification, and the development of advanced prototypes.
Papers and Conferences
- Lee G, Eastman C, Taunk T, Ho C-H, (2010) Usability Principles and Best Practices for the Interface of Complex 3D Architectural Design and Engineering Tools, Int. J. Human-Computer Studies 68 (2010) 90–104.
- Eastman C, Lee J-M, Jeong Y-S, Lee J-K, (2009) Automatic rule-based checking of building designs, Automation in Construction 18, November, 2009, pp 1011-1033.
- Sacks R., Eastman C.M. and Lee G. and Orndorff D, (2005) A Target Benchmark of the Impact of Three-Dimensional Parametric Modeling in Precast Construction, PCI Journal, July-August pp. 136-139.
- Sacks R., Eastman C.M. and Lee G. (2004) “Parametric 3D Modeling in Building Construction with Examples from Precast Concrete”, Automation in Construction, 13:3 pp. 291-312
- Eastman,C.M. (2004) Invited Keynote Presentations, New Methods of Architecture and Building, Fabrication: ACADIA 2004 Conference, Toronto, CA
- Lee, G., R. Sacks, and Eastman, C., Wessman, R,. (2004) Development of an Intelligent 3D Parametric Modeling System for the North American Precast Concrete Industry: Phase II, 21th International Association for Automation and Robotics in Construction, Sept 23-25, 2002, Jeju Korea, September, 2004.
- Eastman, C.M. R. Sacks and G. Lee, (2004) Functional modeling in parametric CAD systems, in: Generative-CAD Conference, Carnegie Mellon, PA, July 12-14,2004.
- Sacks R., Eastman C.M. and Lee G.  Process Improvements in Precast Concrete Construction Using Top-down Parametric 3-D Computer Modeling, PCI Journal, 48:3, pp. 46-55.
- Sacks R., Eastman C.M. and Lee G. (2004) Parametric 3D Modeling in Building Construction with Examples from Precast Concrete, Automation in Construction, 13 (2004) 291-312
- Eastman, C.M., Rafael Sacks , Ghang Lee, (2002) Strategies for Realizing the Benefits of 3D Integrated Modeling of Buildings for the AEC Industry 19th International Association for Automation and Robotics in Construction, Sept 23-25, 2002, Washington D.C.
Design Cognition and Collaboration
Cognitive models of design that support tool and interface development; studies and technological support for design collaboration.
- C. Eastman, W. Newstetter, M. McCracken eds. Design Knowing and Learning: Cognition in Design Education, Elsevier Science Press, (2000).
Papers and Conferences
- Lo Ping Wei, Ellen Yi-Luen Do, Charles M. Eastman, “On Context of Content: A Comparative Methodology Review of How HCI and Mass Communication Analyze Blogs and Social Media” for Work in Progress in CHI 2007, San Jose, April 28 – May 3
- Ho,Chun-Heng Eastman, C. (2005) How Representations and Strategies Influence Design Spatial Problem Solving, Symposium on Reasoning with Mental and External Diagrams: Computational Modeling and Spatial Assistance, AAAI Spring Symposium, Technical Report SS-05-06, Stanford, March 21-13, 2005. pp. 114-120
- Chun-Heng Ho CH, Eastman CM and Catrambone R, (2006) An investigation of 2D and 3D spatial and mathematical abilities, Design Studies, 27:4, (July) pp. 505-524
- Lee, G., C. M. Eastman, and C. Zimring. (2003). Avoiding design errors: a case study of redesigning an architectural studio. Design Studies, 24, 411-435.
- Eastman, C. “New Directions in Design Cognition: Studies of Representation and Recall”, in Design Knowing and Learning: Cognition in Design Education, C. Eastman, W. Newstetter, M. McCracken eds. Elsevier Science Press, (2001).
- Eastman, C. Keynote address and paper: "Representation of Design Processes", Conference on Design Thinking, MIT April 23-25, (1999).
The benefits of product model repositories are that they support new more integrated design processes, integrating design with analysis, fabrication, erection and other downstream influences; processes also are the basis for supporting the definition of product data models.
- Sanguinetti P, Eastman C, Augenbroe G, (2009) Courthouse energy evaluation: sensitivity analysis to support decision-making in concept design, Proc. Building Simulation 2009 Conference, Glasgow, pp. 1922-1929.
- Eastman, C.M., Rafael Sacks , Ghang Lee, (2004) Strategies for Realizing the Benefits Implementing 3D Parametric Modeling in Technical Areas of Construction – a Case Study, CIB International Conference, W78, Toronto, CA, May, 2004.
- Sacks R., Eastman C.M. and Lee G.  “Process Model Perspectives On Management and Engineering Procedures in the North American Precast/Prestressed Concrete Industry” ASCE Journal of Computing, March/April, 2004 (in press).
- Eastman, C. Lee, G Sacks, R (2003) Development of a Knowledge-Rich CAD System for the North American Precast Concrete Industry, 2003 ACADIA Conference, Indianapolis, IN.
- Sacks, R., Eastman Building Modeling Enabled Workflow Changes in Precast Concrete and Structural Steel Construction, EIA-9, 9th EuropIA International Conference: E-Activities and Intelligent Support in Design and the Built Environment, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2003
- Eastman, C., Lee, G., and Sacks, R., (2002) “A formal and analytical approach to modeling engineering project processes” CIB Conference W-78, Arhus Denmark, June 12-14.
- Sacks, R., Eastman, C., Lee, G., and (2002) “Process and enterprise modeling, Information management & technologies” Concurrent Engineering in Construction 2002, Berkeley, CA, July 1-2.
- Jeng, T.S., and C. Eastman, , "Design Process Management", Computer-aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 14, pp. 53-65.
- Developing a high level language and implementation for robust drawing recognition; drawing recognition algorithms.
- Babalola, O. and Eastman, C. “Semantic Modeling of Architectural Drawings”, Proc. 2Oth ACADIA Conference, Buffalo NY, Nov. (2001).
Building Model Repositories, new processes, all allow and involve new approaches to the management of deisgn; I am interrsted in such issues as change management, review procedures, and design coordination.
- C.Eastman and Sriram Dasu, editors, Management of Design: Engineering and Management Perspectives, Kluver Academic Pub., Boston, 1994, including the preface and chapter, “Management of Design Information Flows”, with G. Shirley.
Papers and Conferences
- Eastman, C.M., D. S. Parker, T.S. Jeng,  "Managing the Integrity of Design Data Generated by Multiple Applications: The Theory and Practice of Patching, Research in Engineering Design, 9, pp. 125-145.
- Eastman, C.  "Managing Integrity in Design Information Flows", Computer Aided Design, (May), 28:6/7, pp.551-565.
- Augenbroe, G. and Eastman, C eds. Computers in Building: Proceedings of the CAADfutures'99 Conference, Kluver Academic Publishers, New York, (1999)].